Le Pont Neuf, the oldest existing bridge to span the Seine in Paris, is the subject of this painted board in giltwood frame, signed and dated in the lower left corner by the artist, “Ansaloni 44”. A portion of the famed arched bridge can be seen spanning the lightly rippled river. On top of the bridge is a series of multi-story buildings, constructed of red brick with strips of stone quoins, similar to other buildings commissioned by Henry IV, including Place des Vosges. These buildings can still be seen today, just across from the equestrian statue of Henri IV of France.
Verdant trees flank the buildings beneath blue sky with fluffy clouds. A man in brown stands near the far bank, next to a small, moored boat. The board is surrounded by a beige canvas matte with a thin ecru interior molding. Natural elements embellish the giltwood frame, including shells, foliage, and floral motifs over a patterned background.
Edouard Gaetan Charles Ansaloni was born at the end of the 19th century in Yzeure, a commune within the department of Allier, in central France. Ansaloni studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, under the tutelage of Jean-Leon Gerome, Benjamin Constant, and J.P. Laurens. Ansaloni is best known for his series of exhibitions between 1912 and 1939, which depicted views of Alsace, Auvergne, and Franche-Comte, all regions of Eastern France.
CONDITION: Good condition with a small loss to the board near the signature. Minor nicks to the molding of the matte board and slight buildup to the frame.