After a stone panel that once graced the front of a Belgian castle, this large cast stone plaque features an intricate coat of arms, quite possibly from the Crawhez family. The heraldic display was referenced in 1861 by Jean-Baptiste Rietstap, a Dutch genealogist, in his reference book Armorial Général. A very similar architectural can be seen above the lone remaining building of the 16th century church, Chapelle Saint-Ghislain de Dampremy in Belgium.
Two rampant guardant lions (meaning the lions are standing erect with forepaws raised and the head is facing the viewer) are each supporting a heraldic escutcheon. The lion on the left is holding a French style heater, while the lion on the right is depicted with an oval shield. Each lion has one hind paw on top of the banner that runs beneath the shields. The Latin phrase MANUM MITTAT AD FORTIA is written across the placard, which translates to “send a strong hand”. Above the shields is a five-point open crown topped with a curled leaf margent that extends over the lions’ heads.
Our large cast stone coat of arms chateau plaque from Belgium is quite substantial, with a maximum depth of roughly 9.5 inches (measured at the crown). The size combined with the mid-relief elements would make it a fantastic architectural in any outdoor setting.
CONDITION: Good condition with minor buildup and discoloration. Light rubs and superficial losses. Please see photos for details.