Attributed to the British painter, Richard Jack (based on the penciled inscription on the verso side), the subject of this antique (pre-1916) oil painting is the St Mary’s Church in Beverley, England. Surrounded by a giltwood frame adorned with large acanthus medallions and foliate margent offshoots in the corners, the bright painting depicts the east side of the church. The cruciform church, originally from the early 12th century, was rebuilt and enlarged many times over the centuries, before a final massive restoration project was completed in the mid-19th century, as seen on the canvas.
In the forefront of the painting is a large garden with a stone bench in front of a brick retaining wall. The verdant grounds are dotted with red flowers and two large trees flank the church beneath a cloud-filled blue sky. A section of the garden remains off the street that is now Hengate, although a paved courtyard and walkway have since been added.
Richard Jack was born in 1866 in Sunderland, a port city in Northern England. At the age of 20, Jack won a national scholarship to the Royal College of Art. Over the next 30 years, Jack made a name for himself painting portraits of royalty, such as King George and Queen Mary of England and King Alphonso of Spain. During this period, Jack also painted interiors and landscapes, winning numerous awards and titles. In 1916, Jack accepted a commission in the Canadian Army, becoming the official war artist of the Canadian War Records office. According to a tag on the verso side, this painting once hung on the walls of the Liverpool depot of the Great Northern Railway.
CONDITION: Good antique condition with minor buildup to canvas. Light rubs and losses to frame. Please see photos for details.