This beautiful burlwood cave a liqueur from circa 1850 is embellished with inlaid brass and mother of pearl. During the 19th century, you would often find a cave a liqueur in social clubs for upper-class gentlemen.
As with most caves a liqueur, when the front side is lifted, it folds into itself. The front and the three-quarter doors on each side open on brass hinges to allow access to the wooden caddy that houses the crystal decanters and cordial glasses. The top of the caddy has a gilt handle adorned with curled leaves. The caddy houses four decanters etched with husks and has 16 slots for cordial glasses. One of the glasses has gone missing, leaving eight cordials without any embellishments and seven with frosted trefoil flowers.
The cave a liqueur has been constructed from mahogany wood with an exotic burlwood veneer. The front and the top are embellished with mother-of-pearl and brass inlays. The front side has a central palmette cartouche surrounded by fan-shaped leaves and scrolls. The corners have Fleur de Lys, spiraled vines and water leaves. Similar motifs can be seen on the corners of the top, with another central cartouche of an ovate medallion. The front is arbalete shaped and the entire cabinet sits on small bun feet.
An essential piece of barware, this burlwood cave a liqueur with inlaid brass and mother of pearl is a true work of art. It would taken incredible skill to cut and assemble this beautiful box. It will make a strong presence in any wet bar or office.
Dimensions in closed position
H – 10 1/2, W – 13, D – 10
CONDITION: Wear commensurate to age and use with minor rubs and nicks. Buildup on crystal, with one cordial glass missing. Key is not original and does not operate lock, but aids in lifting the lid.