This remarkable pair of oak and iron doors comes from a convent (Carmel de Cette) in Sete, France and were built circa 1750.
Sete (spelled Cette until the 1920’s) is a small municipality, or commune, in the South of France. Nicknamed the “Venice of Languedoc”, the town built a network of canals that link France’s second largest lake, Étang de Thau, to the Mediterranean Sea. The doors were salvaged around 2016, just before the building was to be demolished (see photo prior to salvage).
The major focal point of the doors is the beautifully scrolling iron straps that adorn the front of the doors. On each door there are two sinuous door straps with fleur de lys tips and rinceaux bases. The straps also have six raised pyramid shaped points that add to the dimensional interest of the doors. On the back of each door are three large penture, or hinges, that run the width of each door. The hinges utilize a pintle style hinge, which made it easier to hang and operate the doors on the building. The original locking bolts at the top and bottom of one of the doors are still present.
The door frames themselves are made of antique French oak wood. There are 3 sections of vertical paneling, with five boards in each section. A horizontal board separates the sections and one long horizontal plank (that runs from the top to the bottom) flanks each side. When the doors are viewed from the side, the tongues of mortise and tenon joints can be seen. Mortise and tenon joints provide additional strength which is why they were frequently used in the construction of paneled doors.
These amazing 18th century French convent doors can be used as an entry doors or decorative interior doors anywhere in the home.
CONDITION: Strong condition. Wear commensurate to age and use. One door strap has been professionally restored. Losses to wood and finish as seen in photos. “Dans Son Jus”